Ask The Expert: What happens if I over-contribute to my RRSP?

Ask The Expert: What happens if I over-contribute to my RRSP?

If a taxpayer has over-contributed by more than $2,000 above their RRSP limit in a given month the CRA can assess a penalty equal to 1% multiplied by the over-contribution amount for each month until the over-contribution is taken care of.  If you find yourself in this situation it is possible to contact your investment advisor and have the over-contributed amount withdrawn without having to include the withdrawal in your income.  However, this requires filling out special forms and calculating and paying the penalty.  The best thing to do is to work with your accountant and financial advisor to ensure you do not find yourself in this position.

Bill Karner, Karner Tax
Phone: 905-401-0023

The Professional Referral Group

This article is part of a series of Ask The Professional features from our members. The Professional Referral Group is a referral group comprised of trustworthy, reliable and knowledgeable professionals located in Pelham, Welland, St. Catharines and the surrounding communities.

All members of the PRG have been screened to ensure they meet our high standards.  We only accept companies we can recommend. These are the people WE trust and refer. We hope you will too.

Visit us at for more information and membership inquiries.

Comments are closed.